If you are serious about the art of crafting cocktails and have an appreciation for top quaity gin, you need to enter the Beefeater Mix LDN Competition. You could find yourself winging your way to London to represent your country in the Global Finals early next year! But don't delay, the deadline for the South African leg is end of September 2015. CLICK HERE TO ENTER.
When the competition started in 2011, only 4 markets participated with a total of 50 bartenders entering the competitions worldwide. Only 4 years later, the Beefeater Global Bartender Competition, with 30 countries participating in 2014 and more than 1000 entrants, has become the biggest gin-based competition in the world.
Beefeater gin's birth was during the first great cocktail era when gin became the basis of the vast majority of what we recognise today as classic cocktails. It was also a time of great evolution for Britain and London as the Victorian era set the foundations of modern England.
This year, contestants are requested to take their inspiration from the evolution of London. In the same way London takes influences from around the world to constantly re-build and re-invent itself, bartenders have been asked to take a classic gin recipe created no later than 1950, and using either Beefeater Dry or Beefeater 24, take that drink and rework it using modern London as inspiration.
During the SA competition, contestants will be required to make their recipe three times: one for the judges, one to be photographed, and one to be judged by fellow competitors.
Drinks will not be made in front of the judges. Drinks will be made at the bar and brought to the judges' tasting area.
Contestants will then have a short interview where judges will ask questions in order to understand the inspiration behind the drink, the bartenders' knowledge of the brand and their execution of the brief.
The average mark of all the awarded marks by the judges will account for a minimum of 80% of the overall bartender score. Judges will award points based on
- The Drink
- Appearance: Does the drink look appealing?
- Aroma: Is the aroma inviting? Have aromatics been considered?
- Balance: Does one flavour/element of the drink dominate or is there a good balance between the ingredients?
- Beefeater Characteristics: Has the bartender understood the flavour profiles of either Beefeater or Beefeater 24 and chosen ingredients that complement his/her chosen gin? Does Beefeater shine through?
- Originality: Has there been interesting/innovative use of ingredients, equipment etc.? Remember, simple drinks are often the most effective.
- The Concept
- Inspiration: Can we see the influence of London in the drink?
- Evolution: Can we see the evolution from the classic cocktail that inspired the bartender in his competition drink?
- Understanding Beefeater: Has the bartender shown an understanding of the brand, its history, and its role in classic and modern cocktails?
Interestingly, the competitors will all play a part in the judging process. Each of the drinks will be handed to the competitors who will anonymously judge them based on appearance and taste. The bartenders will judge all drinks except for their own.
The winner of the SA competition, along with national champions from other countries, will be invited to compete for the title of Beefeater MIXLDN Global Champion in London the last week of January 2016 during the Global Final. The National Champions will be invited to present their winning cocktail and enter a series of challenges designed to test their bartending abilities and experience the best of London through the lens of Beefeater.
WHAT CAN YOU WIN?
The Beefeater MIXLDN Global winner will be appointed an Apprentice Brand Ambassador and will have the unique opportunity to support our Global Brand Ambassadors for a year.
After a deeper individual training at the Beefeater Distillery in London, our Global Champion will represent the brand in exclusive Beefeater events in his geographic region, and will also travel to various international locations to support Tim Stones and Sebastian Hamilton-Mudge in select industry trade-shows.